A comprehensive 5-step guide to help new parents understand sleeping requirements of babies and make sure their cribs is safe.
There are two common ways of sleeping a baby
a) co-sleeping and
In co-sleeping, babies sleep along their mothers in the same bed, where in crib-sleeping, babies sleep in crib.
Cribs come in several sizes and contain several moveable parts. To protect a new born baby, parents must learn the proper use of baby cribs.
At some time, you will have to leave your baby in a crib unattended. If you will learn about its proper assembly, use and risks, you can make sure you baby remains safe in it.
Without learning about the proper usage of the crib, and understanding the risks involved, you are putting your baby to a risk of irritability, injury of even SIDS. SIDS stands for sudden infant death syndrome which affects a significant amount of people every year.
Following are the steps that you can take to ensure that your baby crib is safe:-
Step 1: Check the assembly of the crib
While assembling a new baby crib, read the reference manual carefully before you start connecting the pieces together.
Modern baby cribs have certain safety standards to maintain, as per new laws, so while they are much safer than their predecessors, it is still advised to go with what manufacturer recommends.
If some instructions are hard to understand, or some of the pieces of crib are missing, contact your seller or manufacturer and ask them to resolve this issue for you.
Caution: Do not try to do all the things on your own. If you run into trouble, don’t be shy in asking for help. An improper job at assembling a baby crib may endanger your baby.
Step 2: Examine the crib for any problematic areas
Take a hard look at the crib to see if there are any pieces that can injure your baby.
Here are a few key things to look at:-
- See if there are any loose bolts, screws of awnings present. If they are, remove them, they could collapse or fall on your baby
- if the crib is made of wood, feel the surface with your hand to see if it sanded and polished smoothly
- look for sharp edges and rough spots – if you find any sharp edges, get them fixed before you sleep your baby in the crib
- Ensure that hooks that keep mattresses in place are working fine. Faulty hooks could result in mattress flipping over accidentally
- take the two-finger to ensure that there is a gap of no more than two fingers between the crib and the mattress
- avoid corner posts great than 1/16 inches
Step 3: Ensure the crib lined used is well-fitted
- Do not use general linen cloth to spread at the bottom of the crib, use crib linen
- make sure that crib linen is of the exact same dimension as the crib so that it fits snugly
- if the linen is not fitted, it could cause suffocation to the baby
Step 4: Be aware of crib recalls
Sometimes, government releases new safety standards for cribs and the cribs that are already out in the market but do not comply with the new standards are recalled by the manufacturer.
Be aware of the status of your current crib. If you already have a crib then you can find the best crib mattresses here.
- when you buy a crib, note down its brand name, product name and serial number – this will let you track the status of your crib
- keep the retail invoice and documentation safety – this will let you get a new crib for your old crib
- if a recall is issued, get your crib replaced – Call the customer car of the crib’s manufacturer and give them the serial number of your crib. They will arrange for pickup service.
Step 5: Consider using a bassinet
If for some reason, your child is not feeling comfortable in a crib, which is quite common, try using a bassinet. Especially in first few years of infancy, children do not feel comfortable sleeping in cribs, in those years, sleeping babies in bassinet is a better option.
Here are few tips to keep in mind:-
- take a look at the base of the bassinet, make sure it sits firmly at ground
- place the bassinet in your room, besides your bed
- ensure that the bassinet doesn’t have any loose parts
- Use only certified mattresses inside bassinets. Mattresses are certified by government authorities for firmness. Also, make sure the size of the mattress is comparable to the base of the bassinet. The mattress must fit snugly in a bassinet.
- do not hang any toys or dangling items in the bassinet
- do not leave any milk bottle or juice bottle in the bassinet
- place your baby in the bassinet on his back
- if you have a used bassinet, make sure to clean it thoroughly before sleeping your baby in it
- do not use bassinets for toddlers that make a lot of movement and cannot sit still
By following the 5 steps mentioned above, you can make sure that you create a healthy sleeping environment for your baby.
Sleeping patterns of babies are quite diverse and your job as a parent is to make sure that you baby gets enough sleep.
This is quite crucial because sleep is linked with good emotional and physical well-being. I hope with this article I am able to give you some guidelines to follow.